- Step 1 - Installing Coveo for ServiceNow
- Step 2 - Creating a ServiceNow Source
- Step 3 - Replacing the Service Portal Search Page
- Step 4 - Replacing the Service Portal Search Boxes
- Step 5 - Configuring the Case Deflection Panel
- Step 6 - Configuring the Insight Panel
- Step 7 - Adding the Page View Tracker to Your Portal Pages
- Step 8 - Configuring a Recommendations Panel
- Step 9 - Configuring Query Filters
- Step 10 - Configuring Machine Learning Models
- Step 11 - Adding Coveo for ServiceNow to the Virtual Agent
Configuring the Coveo Case Deflection Panel
A Coveo™ case deflection panel is a search interface meant to be embedded in a Service Portal record creation form. As the end user fills the form fields, the Coveo case deflection panel automatically updates to display the most contextually relevant items from a Coveo unified index. If an item in the panel seems to provide a solution to the user’s issue, they click it and are redirected to the item page, thus dropping the case creation process.
The Coveo case deflection panel, as its name indicates, is typically used to proactively suggest content to end users intending to create a support case. However, this feature can be used with any record producer. The procedure in this article explains how to add a case deflection panel to a case creation page, but you can follow and adapt it for any record creation page.
The following procedure explains how a ServiceNow instance administrator or developer can add a Coveo case deflection panel to a Service Portal case creation form.
Add the Case Deflection Widget
- In the Now Platform UI of your ServiceNow instance:
- Navigate to Service Portal > Pages.
- Create a copy of your Service Portal display catalog item record (typically, this is the record whose ID is
sc_cat_item) by clicking the Clone Page button in the top-right corner of the record form. Then:
- If you want the Coveo widgets to be displayed in all catalog items, open the original catalog item record. The page copy will be your backup page.
- If you want the Coveo widgets to be displayed in certain catalog items only, open your copy of
sc_cat_item. When done with the present procedure, you will need to ensure that the desired catalog items use this item record.
- In the Related Links section, click Open in Designer.
- In the Service Portal Designer application that opens in a new browser tab:
- Delete all widgets and all containers in the page, or reorganize them to make room for the widgets mentioned below.
- Add a two-columns container.
- In the left column, drag and drop a SC Catalog Item widget.
- Click the SC Catalog Item widget you just added, then click the Edit button.
- In the Instance dialog, deselect Order Item Section On Top, then click Save.
- In the right column, drag and drop a Coveo Case Deflection widget (see Case Deflection).
For navigation and search purposes, you may also want to add a two-columns container with a
breadcrumbsand a Coveo Searchbox widget on top of the container with the SC Catalog Item and Coveo Case Deflection widgets.
- Optionally, customize the Case Deflection widget (see Customize a Widget and Case Deflection Widget Options).
- To leverage the text typed in your case form to provide relevant suggestions in the Coveo Case Deflection widget:
- Back in the UI of your ServiceNow instance, navigate to Service Catalog > Catalog Definitions > Record Producers.
- Find and open your case creation record producer record (typically, this is the record whose Name is
- At the bottom of the record form, select the Variables tab.
- In the table:
- Find and delete the Contextual Search Results variable.
Assuming you have a ServiceNow source, you no longer require this variable (see Creating a ServiceNow Source).
- Click New.
- In the new record form that opens:
- In the Type drop-down menu, select Macro.
- Select the Question tab and set the Question and Name fields to the name you want to give to the new variable (e.g.,
Coveo case deflection panel).
- Select the Type Specifications tab and set the Widget field to
Coveo Field Change.
In ServiceNow versions prior to Madrid, the Widget field was under the Default Value tab.
- Click Submit.
- Find and delete the Contextual Search Results variable.
- Open your Service Portal display catalog item record the in the Service Portal Designer again, and then add the Coveo Field Change widget anywhere in the page (see Field Change). This invisible widget provides the Coveo Case Deflection widget with any changes in the form fields as the user is typing. This information is used to contextualize the queries of the Coveo Case Deflection widget.
- Navigate to one of your Customer Service Portal service catalog items. If everything is setup properly, the Coveo case deflection panel should be visible in the case creation form and should automatically refresh as you type in the form fields.
Configure a Case Deflection Query Pipeline
In the Coveo Cloud administration console, in the Query Pipelines page, create a new query pipeline for the Coveo Case Deflection widget to use. In the Add/Edit a Query Pipeline panel, create a
Search Hub is condition for the pipeline. The filter value to enter varies depending on your Case Deflection widget configuration:
If you did not provide a scope and a component in the Case Deflection widget options, enter
If you provided a scope and a component, enter them in the following format:
For a Case Deflection widget with a
Portalscope and a
CaseDeflectcomponent, your condition value should be
Portal_CaseDeflect. Your complete pipeline condition is therefore
Search Hub is Portal_CaseDeflect.
With such a condition, your pipeline will be used for all queries originating from the Case Deflection widget.
You can then configure Coveo Machine Learning models in this pipeline to ensure the most relevant content is always shown in your Case Deflection widget.
Embed a Coveo insight panel in your case forms to empower your support agents with a dynamic and proactive search panel (see Configuring the Coveo Insight Panel).