Sitecore Credential Usage in Coveo for Sitecore
At installation time, Coveo for Sitecore asks for the credentials of a Sitecore administrator user. Those credentials can be modified from the Sitecore Control panel (see Configuring the Sitecore Credentials).
Here is a list of tasks where the Sitecore administrator credentials are used by Coveo for Sitecore.
Expanding security permissions of indexed items using the Sitecore Security Provider inside the Coveo index.
- With an on-premises Coveo Enterprise Search index, the credentials are always used.
With a Cloud index, they are used only prior to the October 2016 release.
- Logging in a secured website in the
HtmlContentInBodyWithRequestsProcessorprocessor used to index HTML content of Sitecore items (see Indexing Page Content with the HTML Content In Body With Requests Processor).
- Impersonating an administrator user to:
- Index content only visible to administrators.
- Generate the Coveo for Sitecore diagnostic package, which can be sent to Coveo Support for troubleshooting (see Troubleshooting Problems Using the Coveo Diagnostic Page).
- On-Premises only Fetching Sitecore items binary data from Coveo Enterprise Search (see Understanding and Customizing the Binary Data Indexing Process).
Create a dedicated Sitecore admin user for Coveo and use it in the activation steps. Assigning a dedicated user to Coveo for Sitecore will prevent lock-down issues.