Searching With Coveo in Dynamics
Coveo for Microsoft Dynamics 365 offers a better search experience in Dynamics through three search features: a typical search page, the Coveo side panel, which allows you to make a search without leaving the page you are viewing, and the Insight panel, which you can embed in Dynamics entities (see Coveo Search Page, Coveo Side Panel, and Coveo Insight Panel.
Moreover, if you make Coveo for Microsoft Dynamics 365 your default search provider, it is automatically used whenever you use the search icon in Dynamics (see Making Coveo Your Default Search Provider).
Coveo Search Page
The default search page is displayed when a user makes a query using the Coveo search page in Dynamics (see Adding and Managing Search Pages). Dynamics names search pages search experiences.
The Coveo search page is not available in the Dynamics Unified Interface.
To access the Coveo search page
- In the Dynamics top black ribbon, click the magnifying glass icon.
- Next to the search box that appears underneath, click the magnifying glass icon.
- You will be redirected to your default search page.
- If you selected Coveo as your default search provider, your Coveo default search page will be displayed (see Making Coveo your Default Search Provider and Adding and Managing Search Pages).
- If another search provider is displayed by default, click the drop-down menu at the top left of the page, and then click Coveo Search. Consider making Coveo your default search page (see Making Coveo your Default Search Provider).
Coveo Side Panel
In any Dynamics 365 area, you can open a Coveo-powered search panel to search content while working in Dynamics. This is an alternative to the typical Coveo search page.
To access the Coveo side panel, in any Dynamics area, at the top of the screen, click the Coveo Search button.
The Coveo side panel appears on the right-hand side of the page. You can then enter keywords in the search box and and browse search results in this panel, within your Dynamics window.
To close the panel, click Coveo Search again.
Coveo Insight Panel
You can choose to embed an Insight panel in some entity types, so that you can use Coveo to make a search without leaving the entity you are viewing or editing (see Adding a Coveo Search Page to an Entity View). For instance, if you embed an Insight panel in support case entities, your support agents can search for information in your knowledge articles or catalog while entering case data. Moreover, you can implement dynamic, proactive item suggestions based on the content of the entity page, so that search results relevant to the entity are automatically displayed, without requiring any input from the user (see Understanding Entity Context). In addition, the Insight panel offers interaction options allowing you to enrich your Dynamics content. For instance, you can save search results in the entity page you are viewing for future reference.
For further information, see Getting Started With Insight Panels.
Making Coveo Your Default Search Provider
The search solution you select as the Dynamics default search page is automatically displayed when a user makes a search query in Dynamics (see Coveo Search Page).
- In the Dynamics top black ribbon, click the settings icon (gear icon), and then click Options.
- In the Set Personal Options dialog, in the General tab, under Set the default search experience, click the drop-down menu, and then select Coveo Search.
- Click OK.
Making Coveo Your Users’ Default Search Provider
Microsoft Dynamics 9.0
When installed in your Dynamics instance, Coveo for Microsoft Dynamics 365 does not automatically replaces the default search provider. To fully leverage the capabilities of Coveo for Microsoft Dynamics 365, you must therefore make it your own default search provider (see Making Coveo Your Default Search Provider). Similarly, for your Dynamics users to fully benefit from your Coveo for Microsoft Dynamics 365 solution as well, you must make it their default search provider. Since Dynamics does not offer a feature to do so, however, you must use a third-party application, XrmToolBox. This tool connects to your Dynamics instance to make administration task easier, such as changing search settings for all users at once (see XrmToolBox).
This procedure is possible with Dynamics 9.0+ instances only.
- If not already done, download, extract, and launch XrmToolBox 1.2018.7 or later (see XrmToolBox).
In the XrmToolBox for Microsoft Dynamics CRM/365 window, in the upper-left corner, click Connect.
- In the Select a connection window that opens, in the upper-left corner, click New connection.
Back in the XrmToolBox for Microsoft Dynamics CRM/365 window, in the Plugins tab, click User Settings Utility.
- In the User Settings Utility tab, click Load Users and settings.
- In the user list, select the users for which you want to make Coveo for Microsoft Dynamics 365 the default search provider.
Above the list, you can click Check all, Check none, or Invert selection to make selection easier.
On the right-hand side of the page, in the Default Search drop-down menu, select Custom Search.
- Click Update User(s) Settings.