Creating an Azure Virtual Machine for the Crawling Module
Coveo provides installation steps for the following virtual machine setups:
- Azure Virtual Machine (below)
- Amazon EC2 Virtual Machine
- Hyper-V Virtual Machine
- VMware Virtual Machine
While you can use a different virtual machine setup, Coveo cannot guarantee that Docker Enterprise Edition will install successfully on such a setup (see Installing Docker). See Validating the Installation to ensure Docker works correctly before installing the Crawling Module.
Any server running the Crawling Module must have access to the content you want to index, regardless of whether the server is a virtual machine or not.
Follow these steps to create an Azure VM that is compatible with the Coveo On-Premises Crawling Module.
To create an Azure virtual machine
- In your Azure portal, under Virtual machines, add a Windows Server VM image that has:
- Windows Server 2016, version 14393.1914 onwards
- The GUI enabled
Coveo recommends selecting Windows Server 2016 Datacenter - with Containers in Azure, as it comes with Docker Enterprise Edition already installed.
- When selecting the VM specifications, consider the following requirements:
- The VM needs at least 500 GB of disk space to support the installation of Windows, Docker and the Docker images used by the Crawling Module. The higher the available storage, the less risk of running out of storage during regular activity.
- You must open a port for RDP inbound communications. By default, port 3389 is used.
- Other requirements are more flexible. A good rule of thumb is to aim for one virtual CPU and 4 GB of RAM per worker.
The number of workers is part of the Crawling Module configuration. It determines the number of sources that can refresh at the same time. That number should be between 1 and the total number of Crawling Module sources in your organization and can be changed at any time. See Number of Workers for further information on workers.
The following are two valid Azure VMs that are compatible with the Coveo On-Premises Crawling Module:
- VM 1:
- Image: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter - with Containers (Docker Enterprise Edition already installed)
- D4_V3 instance: 16 GB of RAM, 4 VCPUs, 500GB
- VM 2:
- Image: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
- Manual installation of Docker Enterprise Edition (see Installing Docker)
- D11_V2 instance: 14 GB of RAM, 2 VCPUs, 500GB